At WIT we have collated the best brands to give you the one-stop shop for all your accessory needs. Ranging from weightlifting essentials to gymnastic non-negotiables, our accessory selection is here to help you grip and not rip through every rep, set and WOD.
Not sure which accessories you need? Do not fear, we are here to give you the lowdown on what each accessory does, what they are suitable for and why you need it.
ACCESSORIES 101: Lifting Edition
Let's talk Belts. An extremely valuable accessory when lifting heavy to stabilize your core and support your lower back, a weightlifting belt is vital for max load lifts. Used across lifting sports including CrossFit, powerlifting and bodybuilding a belt sits above the hip bone and is strapped across the stomach, providing ample support when squatting and deadlift heavy.
Here are a couple of things you want to look out for when choosing which is right for you.
- Prioritize a belt that fits the natural shape of your body and sits comfortably on the hips without digging in
- You also want to ensure it has a strong Velcro fastening to keep you locked in throughout your lift. When selecting size ensure there isn’t too excess when pulling the strap across
- Plus opt for a belt that has a self-locking buckle to ensure your lower back and abdominals are completely stabilized from start to finish.
Knee sleeves help stabilize the knee joint under load, protect against stress and keep joints warm which in turn helps with recovery. They also help prevent patella deviation and are a great tool for injury prevention.
There are a few variations to choose from and so check out our recommendations below.
- For heavy lifting you want to prioritize a 7mm thick knee sleeve made from a thick neoprene. This will provide maximum compression and support, helping you keep tension in the bottom position of a squat, so you can drive up without worry.
- For more everyday support in your workouts we recommend a 4mm option which is great for moving between a variety of movements such as body weight squats, lunges and box jumps. This option provides light support for if your knee joints are naturally more stiff and take a while to warm up.
Lifting heavy overhead? Minimize injury with wrist wraps.
Designed to help stabilize the wrist by preventing hyperextension and promoting proper wrist placement, wrist wraps are a great wrist stabilizer for when the bar overhead gets heavy.
When choosing your perfect pair make sure they are made from an elasticated, durable material and have a high resistant velcro fastening so they sit comfortably on the wrist and you don't have to worry about them snapping open at any point.
Struggle with your grip on a heavy lifting day? Then you might need pulling straps.
Perfect for days where you have heavy deadlifts, clean pulls and snatch pulls, pulling straps reduce grip fatigue by relieving strain on your grip in turn helping you to lift a heavier weight for longer.
Typically constructed from a durable material such as Polyester or cotton with excellent slip resistance, this accessory is designed so you can get through those high volume heavy lifting days.
A small but essential accessory, thumb tape is vital for keeping your thumbs feeling fresh in hook grip and to help prevent cuts caused by friction with the barbell.
SHOP OUR LIFTING COLLECTION HERE