Workout Bra Size: How Should a Sports Bra Fit
- Gehlsen G, Albohm M. Evaluation of sports bras. The Physician and sportsmedicine. 1980 Oct 1;8(10):88-97
- Brown N, White J, Brasher A, Scurr J. The experience of breast pain (mastalgia) in female runners of the 2012 London Marathon and its effect on exercise behaviour. British journal of sports medicine. 2014 Feb 1;48(4):320-5.
- Mason, B. R., Page, K.-A., & Fallon, K. (1999). An analysis of movement and discomfort of the female breast during exercise and the effects of breast support in three cases. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 2(2), 134–144. doi:10.1016/s1440-2440(99)80193-5
- Scurr JC, White JL, Hedger W. Supported and unsupported breast displacement in three dimensions across treadmill activity levels. Journal of sports sciences. 2011 Jan 1;29(1):55-61.
- Bridgman C, Scurr J, White J, Hedger W, Galbraith H. Three-dimensional kinematics of the breast during a two-step star jump. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 2010 Nov 1;26(4):465-72.
- Burnett E, White J, Scurr J. The influence of the breast on physical activity participation in females. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 2015 Apr 1;12(4):588-94.
- Forsyth J, Roberts CM, editors. The exercising female: science and its application. Routledge; 2018 Sep 28.
- Norris M, Blackmore T, Horler B, Wakefield-Scurr J. How the characteristics of sports bras affect their performance. Ergonomics. 2020 Oct 14:1-6.
- Page KA, Steele JR. Breast motion and sports brassiere design. Sports Medicine. 1999 Apr;27(4):205-11.
- McGhee DE, Steele JR. Breast elevation and compression decrease exercise-induced breast discomfort. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 2010 Jul 1;42(7):1333-8.
- McGhee DE, Steele JR. Biomechanics of Breast Support for Active Women. Exercise and sport sciences reviews. 2020 Jul 1;48(3):99-109.
- Bowles KA, Steele JR, Munro BJ. Features of sports bras that deter their use by Australian women. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2012 May 1;15(3):195-200
- Coltman CE, McGhee DE, Steele JR. Bra strap orientations and designs to minimise bra strap discomfort and pressure during sport and exercise in women with large breasts. Sports medicine-open. 2015 Dec 1;1(1):21
- Bowles KA, Steele JR. Effects of strap cushions and strap orientation on comfort and sports bra performance. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 2013 Jun 1;45(6):1113-9.
- Exell TA, Milligan A, Burbage J, Risius D, Sanchez A, Horler B, Mills C, Wakefield-Scurr J. There are two sides to every story: implications of asymmetry on breast support requirements for sports bra manufacturers. Sports biomechanics. 2019 Jun 16:1-3.
- Parthasarathi D.V, Priya, T.R, Sivaranjani, S., & Dhivya., A (2016). Design and development of sports intimate apparel: A review. International Journal Online of Sports Technology and Human Engineering, 3, 1-9
Some frequently Asked Questions:
1. Should you size up or down in sports bras?
Ideally, one should find the correct fitting sports bra according to the information above. We recommend buying on the smaller side to avoid a loose-fitting bra, which might not add the support you need.
2. How do you know if your sports bra is too small?
As with most sports apparel, any items that are uncomfortably tight or restricting bloody flow are probably too small.
3. How do I know what size sports bra to buy?
Simply read the informative guide above!